Top 10 Reasons to Locate Your Business
in the Red Rock Area
Each year, the Marion County Development Commission meets with 40 prime employers to gather their input on business needs and trends. As part of this process, we ask our prime employers about community assets and the reasons they choose to operate their business within the Red Rock Area. Below is their top 10 list of community assets:
1. AffordabilityUS News and world report ranks Iowa #3 for affordability. No matter what type of business you operate, affordability is important. It includes more than just operating costs, but also taxes.
2. World Class Education Within Marion County, there are 5 public K-12 school districts, 1 private K-12 school system, 1 4-year liberal arts college and numerous venues for continuing education.
3. Quality Health Care ServicesUS News and World Report, ranks Iowa #1 for health care affordability. In any stage of life, health care matters. Here we have two community hospitals. In addition, the University of Iowa hospitals are 90 minutes away and the Des Moines metro hospitals just 30 minutes away. For seniors, we have independent living, assisted living and nursing care options. In Marion County, our services for police, fire and ambulance paramedic services rank at the top of all community assets.
4. Manufacturing ClusterWith nearly 40% of all jobs within the county in manufacturing, Marion County has over 6,000 manufacturing jobs within 43 manufacturing companies. Continuous improvement and process are not only concepts used within companies, but in much of the community planning as well. Many of our companies are nationally known such as Vermeer Corporation, Pella Corporation, 3M, Hormel and Lely. While Van Gorp Corporation and Precision Pulley & Idler are two of the largest pulley conveyor manufacturers in the US.
5. Productive WorkforceMarion County residents enjoy lifelong learning. Workers are motivated and engaged because our companies provide quality wages and benefits.
6. Business ClimateIowa has one of the lowest costs of doing business in the nation.
7. US Location & InfrastructureGeographically located in the center of the US, Marion County is just 30 minutes away from the intersection of Interstate 35 and Interstate 80. In addition, there are two 4-lane highways which connect the area to those interstates making the transportation of goods efficient. The Mississippi River is located just 3 hours away which provides access to world markets.
8. Family Friendly CommunitiesFamilies enjoy the variety of community events and amenities for kids. The combination of educational excellence and safe communities provides an atmosphere where children can thrive. The simplicity of shorter commutes and caring employers allow parents to put family first. The average commute time in Marion County is 13 minutes.
9. Entrepreneur CultureMany of the large corporations located in Marion County got their start with an innovative local entrepreneur. The active business network that exists within the county provides many different types of opportunities for entrepreneurs to interact and connect to resources. Area coffee shops seems to be popular with the next generation of entrepreneurs and the rural lifestyle allows for collaboration.
10. RecreationMarion County is home to Iowa's largest lake: Lake Red Rock. This provides residents with over 50,000 acres of public land which feature trails and campgrounds to explore. In addition to Lake Red Rock, the communities provide amenities such as the Pella Aquatics Park, Knoxville Skate Park, 4 golf courses, Pella Sports Complex, numerous ball fields and green spaces. Almost every month you can find 5k runs and recreational events to participate in around the area.